[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 16:28:16 PDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Christopher Blizzard
<blizzard at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/2010 6:09 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> Actually, my son frequently does that with the YouTube videos he
>> watches - he will open 20 tabs of YouTube videos put them al briefly
>> on "play" then "pause" so that they start downloading - then go off do
>> something else for a bit and come back later to watch one after the
>> other. It's very useful here in Australia with the delays and
>> fluctuations in bandwidth that we get. Also, it's on a desktop and he
>> has no storage problems.
>>

> This is an anti-pattern to a lot of video providers.  I've talked with a few
> people now who use flash media streaming because they don't want buffering.
>  Lots of video providers have to pay for bandwidth (not all of them) and
> lots report people buffering 20 mins of video and end up only watching 1
> minute of it.

Yeah, I think that problem occurs often when people start watching a
video, then determine they are not really keen to watch the rest of
it, and don't close the Web page. Because Flash & browsers just
continue buffering these days, there ends up not much being watched.

In the case of my son - or also from people that I have seen that
watch longer episodes / movies through Web video, they almost behave
like P2P users and start the playback with a clear expectation to
pause it and go away for a bit to wait until it has all downloaded.
And they are keen on the high quality and the full content and on
watching it all. I don't think that need will change and I don't think
video providers should have a problem with such use of their video.

Cheers,
Silvia.