[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 1 15:33:46 PDT 2010

On 10/29/2010 6:09 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Actually, my son frequently does that with the YouTube videos he
> watches - he will open 20 tabs of YouTube videos put them al briefly
> on "play" then "pause" so that they start downloading - then go off do
> something else for a bit and come back later to watch one after the
> other. It's very useful here in Australia with the delays and
> fluctuations in bandwidth that we get. Also, it's on a desktop and he
> has no storage problems.

This is an anti-pattern to a lot of video providers.  I've talked with a
few people now who use flash media streaming because they don't want
buffering.  Lots of video providers have to pay for bandwidth (not all
of them) and lots report people buffering 20 mins of video and end up
only watching 1 minute of it.

--Chris