[Flac] A proposal to extend (create) a codified set of revisited and additional FLAC tags

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Mar 5 13:02:32 PST 2013

Dennis Brunnenmeyer wrote:
> A new
> set of recommendations for FLAC tags (in the VorbisComments format) is
> more than just desirable---it's essential for the future adaptation of
> FLAC for music distribution. A revised codified standard for
> VorbisComments or their equivalent is required.

I am not sure what it is you seek from Xiph.org.

The vast majority of FLAC (and Vorbis) users
are not concerned with music distribution.
Hence, a long all-inclusive list of
VorbisComments is not relevant to them, and
in the past Xiph.org has shied away from
specifying such a list.  Of course, there is
nothing to stop you defining such a list, and
publishing it on a website somewhere.

One initiative to standardize "kitchen sink"
metadata was M3F; visit:
    https://wiki.xiph.org/M3F

However, the M3F initiative seems to have
died in 2008.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org