[Flac] A proposal to extend (create) a codified set of revisited and additional FLAC tags

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 01:11:43 PST 2013

On 31-01-13 07:17, Dennis Brunnenmeyer wrote:
> What is the best way to go about this?

Not on a user mailinglist for sure. All Xiph-related mailinglists can be
found here: http://lists.xiph.org/mailman/listinfo

I think trying the vorbis-dev or flac-dev mailinglist would be better,
because this list is not read by many. Because VorbisComments are part
of the Vorbis spec, I think the vorbis-dev mailinglist would be best.

> Users need to search their libraries for more important reasons than
> just to locate an artist or song by name. The current (formalized) set
> of VorbisComments is inadequate for this purpose. [For example, who is
> the vocalist on that track, or whois playing the violin on this track?]

I am curious how you tried to fix this, I guess not by defining fields
like 'ViolinPlayer' or something. For classical music, important
musicians (like a conductor, soloist etc.) are usually mentioned via the
album-field, see for example:
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/History:Classical_Style_Guide That's an
option as well, instead of defining new fields. We have the
performer-field as well, I would think of something like: violin:
SomeGuy viola: someoneelse.

Good luck