[Flac] Flac] Where Cover Art?

Santiago Jimeno sjimeno at ya.com
Sat Jan 22 06:46:17 PST 2011

You said "With the exception of where to put a picture file, VorbisComments
in a Vorbis stream are the same as VorbisComments in a FLAC stream."

In METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE case they would not be the same. Up to now we
could exchange the complete block of VorbisComments. But with the addiction
of METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE doesn't happen this way.

In Ogg files the METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE data are split in numerous pieces,
each one of them with a Oggs header (44 up to 282 bytes of non Base64 data
among each piece). Just as they are written would be impossible to put them
in the block 4 of Flac Metadata.

But the specifications are only for Ogg files. For Flac is not specified if
the data, after METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE=, would be a long string of Base64
format (without split) or otherwise. It seems that the decision is of Ogg
team and Flac team has not said anything on this matter.

I thought I could choose among both forms of inserting a picture. But
thinking it well, the decision is made because of the silence of Flac. Flac
will continue using the block 6. And in METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE case,
VorbisComments are not compatible. I continue thinking that to have two
different blocks for this is very bad design.

 Regards. Santiago