[Flac] playback problems with oppo BDP-95

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Sun Feb 6 16:51:55 PST 2011

What is a "local implementation?"  Do you mean the hardware version
number?

I think Pierre-Yves may be correct.  There certainly were some
changes to 24-bit support, and many of these problematic FLAC files
are HD audio.  In other words, they're not simply 16-bit 44.1 kHz CD
audio converted to FLAC, but they are 24/96 or 24/192 audio in FLAC
format.

The only curious thing is that using flac 1.2.1 with --fast or
compression level 0 is enough to make the hardware happy.  In that
case, are only the old Rice codings used for lower compression levels
with 24-bit audio?

You raise a good point, Nicholas.  I would like to see manufacturers
give specific information about what level of the FLAC format they
support.  The BDP-95 does not mention FLAC in the manual at all, and
the web page only mentions FLAC twice - once in a bold heading, and
again in the body of text.  Neither mention of FLAC gives any details
at all - they just put it in the list of formats.  I suppose, in
comparison, that MP3 players usually don't give any details about
whether the hardware supports 320 Kb or multichannel or anything
else.  Perhaps we're reaching an age where nobody cares about the
details.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting