[Flac] 24 bit question

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Thu Dec 2 07:45:48 PST 2010

Nicholas is probably right about noise.  Another factor would simply
be the amplitude of the resulting file.

A 275 MB 24-bit file which compresses to 110 MB is probably not very
loud.  I assume that the average level is somewhat low, with few if
any peaks that reach 0 dBFS.  FLAC is very good at compressing audio
that is not loud.  In fact, the quieter the recording, the smaller
the FLAC file.  I've actually mastered some audio where the final 24-
bit FLAC was larger than the original 24-bit FLAC, simply because the
amplitude is larger on average after mastering.

When dithered to 16-bit, I'd assume that your WAV output is about 183
MB, is that right?  Seems like you're saying that this only
compresses to 112 MB.  That is consistent with a louder file and/or
one with more noise.  I assume that you may have boosted the level of
the recording before dithering to 16-bit, or maybe even just
normalized the 24-bit file.  Audio dynamics compression is expected
to increase the size of the FLAC output.  If you did not alter the
volume at all before dithering, then I suppose it's still possible
for the dither noise alone to reduce the efficiency of the FLAC
compression.  What was your dithering process?

In general, FLAC compression achieves about 50% reduction in size.  I
get better than 50% with raw 24-bit recordings, and worse than 50%
with mastered 16-bit recordings.  In your case, the 24-bit file is
compressed to 40% of the original size, but the 16-bit is only
compressed to 61% of the 16-bit WAV.  These values are all consistent
with my typical experience, especially since there is an incentive to
make the 16-bit version louder to avoid excessive quantization noise.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

P.S.  Nicholas, where did you come up with that 14% figure?  A 16-bit
file is 33% smaller than a 24-bit file, or a 24-bit file is 50%
larger than a 16-bit file.  I can't find any math that works out to a
mere 14%.