[Flac] 24 bit question

Nicholas Wilson nicholas at nicholaswilson.me.uk
Thu Dec 2 07:10:05 PST 2010

24bits are only 14% more information than 16bits, not as much as it
looks. I presume the downsampling introduces some noise which
compresses poorly (bigger residuals) and pretty much outweighs the
advantage. This does not happen with a lossy codec, if the same error
tolerance is imposed on each stage: a 5% noise introduction (say) at
one stage does not create a problem if a 5% error is allowed to be
introduced later to discard the noisiest 5% of the data. So,
heuristically I would expect most all the gains of reduced detail to
be realised in lossy codecs, and rather little or no space saving with
lossless codecs.

Nicholas

-----
Nicholas Wilson: nicholas at nicholaswilson.me.uk (ncw33)
Site and blog: www.nicholaswilson.me.uk
Peterhouse, CB2 1RD • 86 Heath Road, GU31 4EL