[Flac] streaming support?

Casey deepimpact5 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 18:20:01 PST 2009

Dear FLAC developers,

I'm a student at CSU Dominguez Hills and I'm doing a research paper about "codecs for streaming HD audio" for my audio recording class.  I'm curious if you folks could answer a few questions or offer any important information, technical or otherwise, about your popular lossless codec.  It would be great if I could get an official reference.  I will of course cite your name(s).

I am wondering:
1. Does the FLAC codec support streaming?
2. Does the FLAC codec support high definition audio, that is 24-bit/96Khz audio or better, or at least quality better than that of a CD?
3. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the FLAC codec, as compared to other codecs such as WMA Lossless or Apple's ALAC?  Or if you cannot share information about disadvantages, then what does FLAC do very well, and what applications is it not designed for?

If you would like to add anything else that you feel I should include then please do.  May I also use the official FLAC documentation?  I will cite Mr. Coalson.  Thank you so much for your time and assistance.  There is a lot of information on the web, but I have had a difficult time finding reliable information about this topic.

Respectfully,
Casey Geist