[flac] re-encode tool win32

Frank Russo russofris at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 10:03:31 PDT 2007

Hi there,

Command line binaries should only do one thing, and do it well.  The job of flac (or flac.exe in windows) is to take something and compress it.  Shells implement commands to do things like searches, string matching, looping, and stream editing.  I wouldn't want to see Josh waste his time re-implementing and having to maintain "dir", "grep", or "find" equivs in flac.  These tools already exist, and anyone who has a basic command of an **IX shell is more than capable of one-lining most find/search/sort/exec tasks.

flac already handles input from a file, a pipe, and other input sources, and is almost perfect as-is.

Frank

PS..  The tag line about MS vista probably comes from hotmail (I doubt xiph is doing it).  They recently switched to "hotmail live" or some BS like that.  I do not endorse MS products and have not worked for them since 2003 (the reason for the attrition of my command line abilities).