[Flac] Odd number of samples in a stereo wave file

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Nov 16 12:58:10 PST 2007

<ben at yarwood.com> wrote:
> The thread in question related to a wav file with an extra two bytes at the end causing a partial sample error in the reference flac
> encoder.  There seemed to be confusion over what was actually wrong with the file but as Brian Willoughby deduced correctly, the
> file had an odd number of samples in the data chunk and as it was a stereo file, this was incorrect.
>
> What I am asking is does this make the file invalid as far as the RIFF\WAVE specification goes?

I have just finished reading a book about the
British comedian Peter Cook.  It is titled,
"Tragically I was an Only Twin".  I don't know
whether the extra sample makes the file
technically invalid.  I do know that it doesn't
make any sense; the lone sample is an only
twin.

> The main reason to bring this up is to point out that these files exist and in our experience are quite common, of the hundreds of
> new wav files we receive a day around 1% seem to have this problem.   We receive them from many different suppliers and they seem to
> becoming more common, which is a bit of a pain and probably down to an update to a particular piece of software.

If you have the time and resources then why
not ask three suppliers of these "only twin" files
what software they used to create them.  (Ask
three so that if one tells you nonsense then
we are not sent on a wild goose chase.)

Assuming you get agreement on what software
is doing this then post back here and we can
make suggestions on how to get it fixed.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese