[Flac] Tags Layout

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Mar 21 17:20:37 PDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 07:08:07PM +0100, Didier Eggerickx wrote:

> When looking into a Flac file with an hexadecimal editor, I observe that the different tags (date, tittle, etc...) are, one time all displayed in capital letters (DATE=), on an other time all displayed in minus letters (date=), or...a mix of both : some tags in capital letters, others in minus letters.
> For tagging (and encode/decode) I use the Flac Frontend listed on your site. When testing with Florian Heidenreich MP3Tag, all tags seem to always be displayed in minus letters.
> How can you explain that?

By spec, the tag names (not the values) are case-insensitive ASCII, so
encoders can use either capital or lowercase letters. That looks ugly
though, so it's common for applications to normalize the tag names.

For more info see http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

FLAC follows the same general format.

Hope that helps,
 -r