[Flac] FLAC: editing software

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon Jul 23 09:19:06 PDT 2007

Harry,

Any time you are looking at a waveform in an editor - e.g. to see the
silent parts so you can cut them out - you are looking at
uncompressed data.  A FLAC editor would need to uncompress the data,
allow you to edit it, and then recompress the data.  So you probably
won't see too many people support direct FLAC editing, although they
might support FLAC import and FLAC export.

Ableton Live allows you to work with FLAC files.  However, they are
automatically converted to uncompressed files on disk.  This is just
a convenience, so you don't have to do it manually.  I don't think
you can save to FLAC, but I haven't really looked.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting