[Flac] including images

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Jul 3 10:24:10 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 07:18:17PM +0200, Harry Sack wrote:

> Can anybody tell me what the maximum filesize is for an image file to be
> included in a FLAC file? I'm just exploring this feature and I didn't find
> this yet

The metadata block length field is 24 bits, so the upper limit is just a
little less than 16 MB. At least in theory, I didn't test that.

> PS: Does anybody know why there are so little programs that actually support
> the viewing of embedded pictures? I only found 2 of them: Amarok in linux
> and foobar in windows.

There's not really a standard (or rather there are several) for album
art, and it still seems to be an advanced feature. Feel free to agitate,
this is an area where the better metadata of the free formats is a real
advantage.

 -r