[Flac] FLAC CD Archive

Nathan Hevenstone jimmyrrpage at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 18:27:53 PST 2007

I realize this was an answer to someone else, but...

I use Trader's Little Helper for all my encoding/decoding projects (for FLAC
mostly).  does this automatically do more than just the tracks?  If not, how
can I get the rest?

- - Audio data prior to the start of track 1 (and possibly after the end
of the 'last' track, depending on the disc layout)

- - Sub-code index information

- - CD-Text data

- - Any non-audio data present on the disc (ie: data files)

- - Disc "Meta-data", such as ISRC and catalog numbers

On 1/21/07, Charles Steinkuehler <cstein at newtek.com> wrote:

> Peter Edwards wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Bit late to join in the discussion but I've just read through the CD
> > archiving discussion and was particular interested in Dax's method,
> > described here (also included below):
> >
> > http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac/2006-September/000611.html
> >
> > So far I've just been flac-ing my CDs to individual one-flac-per-track
> > files, however it appears I've been missing some of the other bits of
> > info on the CD.
> >
> > I haven't been using abcde (i've been using KAudioCreator which is a
> > front-end for cdparanoia, AIUI) so I've been a bit lost by some of the
> > detailed methods described by others, as well as Dax.
> >
> > Given that I've already flac-ed a good many CDs, is it enough to go
> > back and run a batch file like this on each CD:
> >
> > cd-discid /dev/hdc > discid.txt
> > cdrdao read-toc --device /dev/hdc toc.txt
> >
> > and save those txt files with the flac albums.  Would that be enough
> > to be able to re-generate the CD again later with the same cddbid
> > etc.?  i.e. would that extract all info I might conceivably require
> > again later?
>
> The cddbid relies only on information contained in the CD table of
> contents, so as long as you're ripping a cue file (or similar) you
> should be able to create a CD with an identical id.
>
> To make sure you're actually making a faithful duplicate of the original
> disc, other data you may want to extract and archive include:
>
> - - Audio data prior to the start of track 1 (and possibly after the end
> of the 'last' track, depending on the disc layout)
>
> - - Sub-code index information
>
> - - CD-Text data
>
> - - Any non-audio data present on the disc (ie: data files)
>
> - - Disc "Meta-data", such as ISRC and catalog numbers
>
> Extracting a toc file with cdrdao will get you sub-code info, cd-text,
> and the "meta-data".  You can rip any (pre|post)-gap audio with
> cdparanoia with an appropriate range specifier, although since this is
> normally silence, not having it ripped isn't typically a big deal.  Any
> data files you want to archive can simply be copied after mounting the
> disc.
>
> I'd also check over the ripping script, and make sure the individual
> flac tracks you've ripped can be glued together 'seamlessly', resulting
> in audio data appropriate to re-create the original disc.
>
> I personally use abcde as a front-end to cdrdao and cdparanoia to rip a
> single flac file (with embedded cue sheet) and a toc file (with the
> cd-text and index information), should I need to re-create a CD that
> somehow got damaged.  I've tested the creation of images that would
> match the disc I started with, except I haven't been able to get cdrdao
> to account for the write offset of my Plextor CD/DVD burner, so the
> audio data comes out shifted by 30 samples (the write offset of my
> burner).  Not the end of the world, and I can "pre-shift" the audio data
> [...]

See Me at my YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimmyRRpage

Please comment!