[Flac] Re: Converting to 1.1.4, help please!

Jud White jwhite at cdtag.com
Wed Apr 11 19:18:46 PDT 2007

You're right it decodes to WAV then re-encodes.. it uses flac option
"-w" (warnings as error) and checks for error return codes.. if an error
occurs it restores the original file and reports the problem when it
fnishes or you ^C the program.. After re-encoding it deletes the wav,
reads the original FLAC's metadata blocks (minus streaminfo and
seektable) and writes them to the new FLAC file.. then it double checks
the sample count in both flacs match (just in case), runs "flac -t" on
the new file to ensure the header and stream are in good shape (in case
of any probs in writing the metadata blocks), then it deletes the backup
(if you have that option turned on).

I ran it on 50GB of FLAC (1700 files) on a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB of RAM
and it took a long time.. not sure exactly because I interrupted it a
lot but maybe around 10 hours.

The -r recursive means process subdirectories.. for example I have
g:\flac, g:\flac\a, g:\flac\b, etc .. so from g:\flac I just run it with
-r and it processors all the subdirs.