[Flac] Re: FLAC: decoding to WAV in the future

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Sun Apr 1 07:51:48 PDT 2007

Hi Harry,

First of all, if you keep a copy of flac 1.1.4 then you will always
be able to decode the files.  Why not make a backup of flac 1.1.4?

Second of all, flac is open-source, so somebody will always be able
to compile flac 1.1.4 for any new platform.

There are never any guarantees about the future.  Some day, MP3 won't
decode on a new computer, AIFF and WAV might be unheard of.  What
makes you think that WAV will outlast FLAC?  Some day, there won't be
a single CD Player still working.  Your best bet is to use open-
source software and keep backups.  Hopefully, the C programming
language won't disappear from the face of computing.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting