[Flac] FLAC: decoding to WAV in the future

Harry Sack tranzedude at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 07:18:58 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm a FLAC beginner and I had a question. Suppose I encode my whole CD
collection now in the FLAC format, using the FLAC encoder version 1.1.4 (the
most recent one at this time).
Will I still be able to decode all FLAC files to WAV files in the future
using the latest FLAC decoder, when for example version 2.0 of FLAC (or a
later version) is released or is it possible that at some point in the
future you can't decode older FLAC files anymore with the latest FLAC
decoder?

So basically my question is: can you always decode ANY FLAC file, no mather
what FLAC encoder version you have used to encode it, by using ANY other
newer FLAC decoder that still has to be released in the future?

I was hoping the main developer Josh Coalson could confirm this, because
it's an important point for people who like to store their CD collection in
the FLAC format!

thanks in advance!