[Flac] FLAC CD Archive

Dan Phillips dwp at rushpost.com
Tue Sep 26 14:38:53 PDT 2006

Free Lunch wrote:
> On 9/26/06, Dan Phillips <dwp at rushpost.com> wrote:
>> I see that this was the right place to fire off this question.
>
> Not really.  This is the nice quiet list for folks who need help with
> flac..
>
> You have confused it with the thousands of 'how do I archive my CDs?'
> threads that have been all over the internet for many years.
>
> Ironically, the flac data loss bug which I saw as critical, and joined
> the list to report, was deemed a very low priority and remained
> unfixed last I checked..  So maybe I'm the one on the wrong list...
There are plenty of ways around this, but I originally backed up all my
CD's with FLAC a couple of years ago. I did an OK job, but I can not
guarantee that I could get them all back to a CD.  I would like to carry
on with FLAC, it is (as far as I know) the only lossless compression
format that is open source. It works well with the players and it is
flexible.

What is this data loss bug? I have not heard of this. Where do you
suggest is a better place to talk about this?