[Flac] FLAC CD Archive

Dan Phillips dwp at rushpost.com
Tue Sep 26 04:09:19 PDT 2006

I have read some posts about using FLAC to archive CD collections and
would like to get some feedback. I am torn between creating a bin and
cue file with CDDB info and compressing that down with FLAC as a single
file or the second method of ripping all the files out to wav and
converting to FLAC and maybe saving the cue file in attempt to use it later.

The first method I believe will pretty much insure the ability to
restore the CD faithful to the original, but does not lend itself to
easy creation of ogg or mp3. Is the future of CD's in jeopardy anyway.
Will we still use them in 5 years time or will we be using wireless
digital players with hard disks.

I just wondered if there were any more thoughts on this and if the
second method could actually be used to reproduce the original CD?
Hopefully some feedback will help me decide which to go for. What I have
read so far has not been conclusive and was a year ago, maybe things
have changed now.

cheers

Dan