[Flac] understanding decorrelation

Ulrik Nissen obbarius at rediffmail.com
Mon Oct 9 03:37:39 PDT 2006

Hi FLACers

I'm studying music production and am currently doing an analysis of the FLAC format. If anyone has the knowledge and a minute to explain i would greatly appreciate any help. One thing that i cannot make sense from in the FLAC documentation (a thing that is hard to find info on in general) is how the decorrelation fase works exactly. I understand that the two channels in a stereo file can have similarities that can be exploitet when compressing, but why is this transformation used: mid = (left + right) / 2, side = left - right? Is it simply to straighten out the signals and thereby having less information to compress?

I would really appreciate any help as there are many articles mentioning the transformations used by different formats in the decorrelation stage, but not exactly how it's a applied, but anyway - if you got this far - thanks for reading.

Rick