[Flac] Some questions

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 09:13:36 PST 2006

--- Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo at scientia.net> wrote:
> Josh Coalson wrote:
> >> III) I've read about the CUEsheet feature of flac where you can
> store
> >> the data of cuesheets (at least indices and so) as searchpoints in
> >> flac.
> >> But the format seems to be in milliseconds while in CDDA frames
> are
> >> exact.
> >> Is it (because one would have rounding errors) not adivsable to
> use
> >> this
> >> feature, and store one big flac file with those cue information
> >> transformed into searchpoints in flac?
> >>
> > FLAC's internal cuesheets store the track and index offsets as
> > sample numbers, so there is no rounding error:
> > http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#cuesheet_track
> >
> > the cuesheet parser in flac/metaflac requires min:sec:frame
> > time signatures for CD audio and converts those to sample
> > numbers.
> >
> Thus,... if I currently have my index-based wav files (that is EAC
> makes
> track-number.index-number.wav) from an cdda,.. and the corresponding
> CUE
> file (EAC writes it in min:sec:frame),... than I could use sox to
> concatenate the single files to one big file,..
> encode it to flac with the CUE infos,..
> And afterwards I'd be able to restore/decode it to the single files,
> right?!

as long as the ripping is not missing "pregap" (especially track 1
index 0), which has to be set up a certain way in EAC, then yes.
you should try an experiment with one disc first.

> btw: This is not the right place to ask,.. but is it planned to add a
> standard to ogg (and thus flac) like ogg comments,.. but for
> additional stuff like lyrics,.. or CD-cover art and so on?

FLAC uses the same tag standard as vorbis.  ogg has no tag standard.
the vorbis standard does not mandate any tags, but has some
recommendations.  I think the current convention by users is to
store lyrics in the LYRICS tag.  cover art is not part of the tags,
it will go in the PICTURE metadata block in upcoming FLAC 1.1.3:
http://flac.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/flac/flac/doc/html/changelog.html

Josh