[Flac] Some questions

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Sun Nov 5 18:07:34 PST 2006

Josh Coalson wrote:
>> III) I've read about the CUEsheet feature of flac where you can store
>> the data of cuesheets (at least indices and so) as searchpoints in
>> flac.
>> But the format seems to be in milliseconds while in CDDA frames are
>> exact.
>> Is it (because one would have rounding errors) not adivsable to use
>> this
>> feature, and store one big flac file with those cue information
>> transformed into searchpoints in flac?
>>
> FLAC's internal cuesheets store the track and index offsets as
> sample numbers, so there is no rounding error:
> http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#cuesheet_track
>
> the cuesheet parser in flac/metaflac requires min:sec:frame
> time signatures for CD audio and converts those to sample
> numbers.

Thus,... if I currently have my index-based wav files (that is EAC makes
track-number.index-number.wav) from an cdda,.. and the corresponding CUE
file (EAC writes it in min:sec:frame),... than I could use sox to
concatenate the single files to one big file,..
encode it to flac with the CUE infos,..
And afterwards I'd be able to restore/decode it to the single files, right?!

btw: This is not the right place to ask,.. but is it planned to add a
standard to ogg (and thus flac) like ogg comments,.. but for additional
stuff like lyrics,.. or CD-cover art and so on?

Thanks for your help so far :-)

Best wishes,
Chris.