[Flac] merging flac files

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Wed Sep 7 16:04:25 PDT 2005

Frans,

You are basically talking about common audio processing on flac files.  If you
are not a developer, then the easiest way to do this is to decompress the flac
to aiff or wav, do your append and/or gain changes, then recompress the
resulting file(s) to flac.  The only disadvantage here is the time to
decode/encode, plus the disk space to hold the uncompressed files.

However, if you are a developer, the flac library allows direct access to the
audio from flac files.  It should be easy to write a program which appends or
gain changes flac files by processing the audio directly.  You still have
decode and encode time, but it happens in parallel with the processing, so the
total time should be much quicker than above.  You also use far less disk
space.

Personally, I would like to be able to burn flac files to CD-R without
decompressing them and using an aiff/wav burner...

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

Begin forwarded message: