[Flac] W2K BSOD: Memory errors

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 10:13:37 PDT 2005

--- xolox at home.nl wrote:
> Hi everyone! This is my first post to the list. Be gentle ;)
>
> I run Windows 2000 Pro SP4 EN, on a 1400 MHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird.
> 512 MB RAM, not sure what speed though.
>
> For a few months now I've been getting errors while encoding with
> flac. I use foobar2000 for encoding from WAVE to FLAC, with the help
> of CUE sheets. I can confirm it's not foobar itself that's giving the
> errors, because they also occur when encoding from the command-line
> (flac.exe -8), as in me selecting a WAVE file for encoding from the
> command line. The errors always show as a Blue Screen Of Death (how
> I've come to hate my favorite color :\). I've seen several errors by
> now and I've written some down: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT,
> UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, etc. All involve the memory. So the
> obvious conclusion is that my memory is fried. However, I've played
> numerous games, used tons off programs, and none has ever triggered a
> BSOD. I'd say (from my limited insight in this) that CPU and memory
> intensive tasks like compression (RAR, 7zip) and compilation of
> software should trigger these same errors?! Am I wrong here? I've
> even tried encoding other audio formats like mp3, ogg and ape to see
> if the problem really isn't coming from foobar2000, but all other
> formats are ok, and today EAC also gave me a BSOD as soon as the flac
> console window opened. What's so different about the flac encoder
> that it triggers these BSOD's while all other software doesn't?
>
> And is there any chance in the world that I'll be able to encode in
> FLAC again? My new Rio Karma and I reaaalllyyy like FLAC, but not
> like this :P
>
> One last thing: I did use the official flac builds from sourceforge.
> No Intel Compiler junk on my AMD. So that's atleast one less cause.

AMD... is it an asus motherboard?  if so, see these:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html#tools__hardware_prob
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1304325&group_id=13478&atid=113478

granted yours is a BSOD which is a little different but might
have the same cause.  I've never been able to track it down.

> PS. I went to flac.sourceforge.net/developers.html which linked me to
> the flac mailinglists @ sourceforge. I actually signed up, confirmed,
> and send this email before browsing the archives to find out that the
> list had been closed down since late 2004. Maybe it's a good idea to
> update flac.sf.net?

yeah, that's annoying... there's no way to shut down a list
on sourceforge though, at least not the last time I tried.

Josh