[Flac] W2K BSOD: Memory errors

xolox at home.nl xolox at home.nl
Wed Oct 19 05:02:10 PDT 2005

Hi everyone! This is my first post to the list. Be gentle ;)

I run Windows 2000 Pro SP4 EN, on a 1400 MHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird. 512 MB RAM, not sure what speed though.

For a few months now I've been getting errors while encoding with flac. I use foobar2000 for encoding from WAVE to FLAC, with the help of CUE sheets. I can confirm it's not foobar itself that's giving the errors, because they also occur when encoding from the command-line (flac.exe -8), as in me selecting a WAVE file for encoding from the command line. The errors always show as a Blue Screen Of Death (how I've come to hate my favorite color :\). I've seen several errors by now and I've written some down: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, etc. All involve the memory. So the obvious conclusion is that my memory is fried. However, I've played numerous games, used tons off programs, and none has ever triggered a BSOD. I'd say (from my limited insight in this) that CPU and memory intensive tasks like compression (RAR, 7zip) and compilation of software should trigger these same errors?! Am I wrong here? I've even tried encoding other audio formats like mp3, ogg and ape to see if the problem really isn't coming from foobar2000, but all other formats are ok, and today EAC also gave me a BSOD as soon as the flac console window opened. What's so different about the flac encoder that it triggers these BSOD's while all other software doesn't?

And is there any chance in the world that I'll be able to encode in FLAC again? My new Rio Karma and I reaaalllyyy like FLAC, but not like this :P

One last thing: I did use the official flac builds from sourceforge. No Intel Compiler junk on my AMD. So that's atleast one less cause.

Thanks in advance for any insight in this!

- Peter Odding