[Flac] CDex and Flac

rsdio at sounds.wa.com rsdio at sounds.wa.com
Sun Jul 3 13:08:12 PDT 2005

Where did your rip files come from?  Are they WAVE or AIFF?  My hunch is that
technically bad files were created when you ripped your CDs.  "data pad byte"
sounds like one of those things that is required in WAVE/AIFF, but many
application developers miss.  As a result of the various errors out there, many
tools will accept bad audio files without complaint, others will point out the
error.  I cannot be sure if this is what is happening, but that "unexpected
EOF" makes me think that a chunk ended on an odd byte, and that's not legal
because all chunks must be an even number of bytes long.

Oh, wait, I just noticed that the message says 536 million samples were
expected and only 12 million were found.  This looks suspiciously like the
kinds of bad files I was seeing with cdrecord, or another of the open source CD
tools.  I never did have the time to track down that bug and fix it.  Too bad,
because those tools seemed to rip audio faster than iTunes, but produced bad
audio files.  I do have some tools for repairing bad AIFF, but they not
available for distribution.

Since you may not be a developer, my advice would be to rip your CDs with
another tool, and then test the same FLAC frontend to see if it is the ripped
files that are causing the problem.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

Begin forwarded message: