[Flac] I'm listening to FLAC on my ipod!

Eric Wong eric at petta-tech.com
Sat Jan 22 12:27:01 PST 2005

Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:05:51PM -0800, Eric Wong wrote:
>
> > I should also add that relevant performance patches have already been
> > posted to the dev mailing list.  There are a few more but they haven't
> > made the situation with compression-level >= 3 any better.
> >
> > Let me know if anybody here can help with optimizations (particularly
> > with ARM assembly) to FLAC so higher-compression files can play, thanks.
>
> Wow, this is great news. Have you tried getting vorbis going at all?

It's been tried with a stand-alone command-line player (ivorbis_example
+ tremor), but performance was only ~60%.  (I didn't run it myself), but
this was before the huge malloc/disk speedup in December 2004, although
it may not matter on small vorbis files.  I'll add support for tremor in
mpd in the next few months if nobody else has done it by then.  Examples
of other plugins are in src/inputPlugins/*.c, although only the flac one
is stable on the ipod.

(The great thing about working with mpd is that it has an excellent
TCP/IP interface that allows me to control it from my desktop (Linux
2.4) machine (but then again, ipod has a janky IP-over-firewire
interface and requires a special version of eth1394)).

--
Eric Wong