[Flac] Tagging Flac-files in GNU/Linux and Windows

Oskar L. oskar at rbgi.net
Tue Feb 8 01:32:26 PST 2005

I posted this in the Hydrogenaudio Forums
(http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=31347) but I'll
post it here as well, hope that's ok...

Hello,

I am having a lot of problems with tagging FLAC-files. I edited the tags
in XMMS (in Linux) using the FLAC plugin, version 1.1.o. Playback worked
fine with that setup, but when I played the files on my other computer,
again with XMMS, but with version 1.1.1 of the FLAC plugin, the ä and ö
characters had changed to some strange characters (I don't remember
exactly they were). I then tried editing the tags using the 1.1.1 version,
but it could not save the ä an ö characters, it immediately changed them
to those strange charachters. I then tried Easytag 1.0, in that the ä and
ö characters just disappeared, and were not replaced by anything. In
Easytag 1.9 tagging worked, and with that I mean it could read what it had
written itself, just like the 1.1.0 version of the XMMS plugin. But tags
written by Easytag 1.9 were not displayed correctly in using the 1.1.0 or
1.1.1 FLAC plgin. Then I booted Windows and tried editing the tags in
Winamp, witch worked, but the tags written were not displayed correctly in
XMMS. Easytag 1.0 could not read the tags written by Winamp, but version
1.9 could.

This is all very confusing. I don't know what the problem is. As I have
understood the tags are saved in UTF-8, so characters like ä and ö can be
used in the tags. Witch of those programms are writing the tags
incorrectly? Or can the tags be in different formats (I would not think so
if they should be in UTF-8)? Or perhaps the problem is not in the programs
writing the tags incorrectly, but reading them the wrong way?

And then another question; when encoding from the command line, is there
any way to set the name of the file to be the TITLE tag (in GNU/Linux or
Winows)? I remember using some program (CDex?), in witch you could write
something like %1 in the title-field, and it would then encode the file
(Ogg Vorbis), writing the filename as the title. Is that possible from the
command line with FLAC?

Any information about any of this will be very much apprechiated!

Oskar