[Flac] Batch, recursive Flac to Ogg converter for Windows

jason at buberel.org jason at buberel.org
Fri Sep 17 10:45:34 PDT 2004

For those of you who, like me, want to keep a Flac-based archive of their CD
collection, but maintain an Ogg-encoded version of that library for use on
portable players, here is something you might be interested in:

I've put together a Cygwin/perl-based solution that works under Windows XP
that can take an entire tree of Flac-encoded files:

C:\music\flac\artist1\album1\track1.flac
C:\music\flac\artist1\album1\track2.flac
C:\music\flac\artist1\album2\track1.flac
C:\music\flac\artist2\album1\track1.flac
C:\music\flac\artist2\album1\track2.flac

And convert it into:

C:\music\ogg\artist1\album1\track1.ogg
C:\music\ogg\artist1\album1\track2.ogg
C:\music\ogg\artist1\album2\track1.ogg
C:\music\ogg\artist2\album1\track1.ogg
C:\music\ogg\artist2\album1\track2.ogg

It requires Cygwin + the cygwin perl package + Vorbis Tools for Windows. It
is smart enough to not re-convert already converted tracks, so it can be run
incrementally to only encode new Flac files. So far, it seems to handle
strange file names reasonably well. It allows you to specify the Ogg
encoding quality level (defaults to '6'), and even has a '--force' option to
force the script to overwrite existing Ogg files.

All you do is specify the source and destination directories:

> flac2ogg.pl --source=/cygdrive/c/music/flac --dest=/cygdrive/c/music/ogg

And that's it.

Instructions and download at:

http://www.buberel.org/linux/batch-flac-to-ogg-converter.php

Enjoy-