[Flac] Archiving CDs w/ Flac on Unix (and subsequent re-encoding)

Curt Sampson cjs at cynic.net
Sun Sep 12 20:03:17 PDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Brian Willoughby wrote:

> On a related note, are there any tools which can read the Index
> information from a CD and preserve these in some file for later
> recreation?

cdrdao.

> The actual TOC on a CD has very little information: just the Absolute
> Start Time of each Track.

Are you sure you're not confusing TOC and CUE here?

If the TOC file was created by cdrdao, it will the catalogue number,
track and index positions (for both audio and data tracks), copy and
pre-emphasis flags, pre-gaps, track ISRC codes, at least CD-Text
subchannel information.

> Is there any documentation of the "TOC" file format that is commonly
> used?

I think you must be confusing TOC and CUE. CUE is sidely used; TOC is
not: only cdrdao uses it as far as I know. The TOC file format is quite
well documented (over 400 lines of documentation, including examples) in
the cdrdao manual page.

> I am (slowly) working on disk burning software that supports FLAC
> directly, without requiring the time or disk space needed for
> uncompressing the audio before burning.

You're still going to use the time anyway; you must uncompress before
burning. So you'll save only the diskspace for the uncompressed image.
I personally don't think it's that worthwhile; anybody with any number
of FLAC compressed CD images around is not going to be wanting for less
than 800 MB of free disk space.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs at cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
     Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA