[Flac] Archiving CDs w/ Flac on Unix (and subsequent re-encoding)

Eric Sandeen sandeen at sandeen.net
Sun Sep 12 19:58:14 PDT 2004

Brian Willoughby wrote:

> On a related note, are there any tools which can read the Index information
> from a CD and preserve these in some file for later recreation?

I think the toc file output from cdrdao does this; it detects pregaps,
sub-indices within tracks, etc.  Converting this to cue via cuetools and
importing into a flac file seems to preserve the indices:

     track[8]
       offset: 73980984
       number: 9
       ISRC: USUMG9900502
       type: AUDIO
       pre-emphasis: false
       number of index points: 2
         index[0]
           offset: 0
           number: 0
         index[1]
           offset: 58212
           number: 1

> The actual TOC on a CD has very little information: just the Absolute Start
> Time of each Track.  Is there any documentation of the "TOC" file format that
> is commonly used?  I do not recall coming across anything.  Obviously, I am
> also interested in similar documentation for the CUE file format.

I found
http://developer.berlios.de/docman/display_doc.php?docid=517&group_id=2130
(sorry if I got this thread OT for the list)  :)

-Eric