[Flac-users] Winamp 2/Winamp 3 and FLAC plug-ins

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 17:55:16 PDT 2003

--- Paul Doland <pauld at ml1.net> wrote:
> Okay, so where am I going.  Well, for one, I've installed Winamp
> 2.91, the
> latest 2.x release, and the FLAC plug-in for it.  When I go to try to
> play a
> .flac file with it, all it seems to do is just convert it to a .wav
> file,
> and then I have to play the .wav file.  I thought the whole idea of
> FLAC was
> that it was good for real-time decoding.  So I was expecting Winamp
> to play
> the .flac file directly without a specific conversion to .wav step.
> Am I
> missing or not understanding something?  Does the Winamp 3 plugin
> work
> differently and play .flac files directly?

something is very wrong with your setup.  all FLAC plugins should
play files directly.  the only thing I can think of is that you
have the wave-writer plugin turned on.

there could be one of several things wrong about your hardware or
winamp setup that can cause that and the glitches.  your machine
is PLENTY fast enough to play FLAC in realtime.

try searching or asking on www.hydrogenaudio.org, there are a
lot on winamp-knowledgable people there.

Josh