[Flac-users] Re: Fingerprint Verification Problem

David W. Tamkin dattier at panix.com
Fri Sep 27 12:24:18 PDT 2002

Chris Paino wrote, and I agree,

| However, I also
| want to be certain that the audio contained within the FLAC file is
| identical to the originally seeded audio.

As well we should; otherwise, what is the point of the file of the
fingerprints from the original FLAC files?

| As I read it, the only way to do this is to export a new fingerprint file
| and then manually compare the new one to the original fingerprint file that
| was included with the seed.

I've been wondering the same thing.

| This to me is highly inefficient ...

... and error-prone ...

| ... and will lead to people not verifying the
| audio at all and that will lead to chaos in the seed pools.

"Chaos" is a stronger word than I'd use, but still, there ought to be a small
utility to extract the fingerprints of the FLAC files, compare them to the
fingerprint file, and report any agreements, disagreements, listings in the
fingerprint file for which there are no FLAC files, and FLAC files not listed
in the fingerprint file.  Not everyone has sort and diff commands available.