[Flac-users] High School Cluster - Beginner's Questions

Miguel A. Mota Jr. Chaos325 at Hotmail.com
Mon Oct 28 14:30:01 PST 2002

Dear FLAC User's Mailing List,
    I'm Miguel A. Mota Jr., Co-Founder and President of the Woodrow Wilson
High School Science & Technology Club in Camden, New Jersey USA.  With a few
small grants from Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs, we have developed a
parallel-processing Linux Cluster (6 nodes) based on Red Hat 7.3 (2.4.18
kernel ) and openMosix clustering technology.  Its not much, but its a
modest start for a few minority teenagers in a urban city helping in the
movement for Open Source software.  We are using the following applications:
KFract, KMandel, WideStudio, KStars, and POVChem.  In terms of benchmarks,
we are currently using POVRay 3.5 Image Rendering and the openMosix Stress
test.  While searching for new benchmarks (that can retain the attention
span of teenagers) I came across the FLAC site and found it quite
interesting.  I have downloaded and installed 1.0.4, and have gathered a few
MP3's & WAV files.
    Now here's the question.  Based on the assumption that I'm on the
Masternode and in the directory containing the WAV files, can someone tell
me what would be the command line/string to start rendering?  Also what
Linux music player would you suggest so that we can play/verify the
resulting files?  I am planning
on reading the documentation, but being a High school student during daytime
and a CCNA student at night leaves me with only the weekends for clustering.
Thank you all for your time and I appreciate your responses.

Miguel A. Mota Jr.
Chaos325 at Netzero.net