[Flac-users] CD archiving

Jesse W. Hathaway jwhathaw at uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 26 18:24:02 PDT 2002

I have been following flac development for some time now, but with the
release of 1.0.4 I thought I would finally start the task of encoding
my entire cd collection into flac format. After looking through the
list archives and the webpage I still have a few unanswered questions.

1. What is the best method tagging method to use? Josh mentioned that
id3v1 was preferred over id3v2 since it didn't mess with the beginning
of the file. However id3v1 has quite a few limitations such as
restricted length of entries that make it not a very desirable option.
The other option is vorbis-style comments.

2. Are there any unix programs that can extract an audio cd, encode in
flac and comment it with vorbis comments?

3. Does anyone know of a tool that could also try and find an image of
the cd cover for a given disc and grab it from the net?

Thanks for everyones work on flac,

Jesse W. Hathaway

--
  Speaking of one of his concerts in Iran Riahipour said, laughing.
  "Once I played a concert where there were 5,000 people. One guy got