[Flac-users] Should I use 11 Khz or 22 Khz

linuxrulesusa at netscape.net linuxrulesusa at netscape.net
Wed May 29 18:47:01 PDT 2002

Chuck,

I'm doing a very similar project.  I'm not an audio expert, but here's my take on the subject.  22KHz will take more space, but it is higher quality, and would probably be better if you ever decide to put them on CD (44.1KHz, stereo is the required format for CD Audio).

There was a noticeable difference in the two when I tried recording at 11KHz vs 22KHz; I ended up just recording at 44.1 KHz even though the tape wasn't high quality, because I'm putting mine on CD, and that makes it easier (less conversion steps = better audio).

If you decide to go higher than 11KHz, be prepared, because the better the quality, the more space you'll need - for an hour of audio at 44.1KHz stereo, it's around 650MB; around half that for mono, and less for other sample rates.

What kind of computer are you using?  What version of Linux or other OS?  Have you decided on limits for storage (that will determine the quality you can use, more than anything else)/How many tapes are you planning to convert?  If you decide to edit the audio (noise removal, etc), check out audacity.sourceforge.net - another great open source audio tool.

Hope this helps!

Dan