[Flac-users] Should I use 11 Khz or 22 Khz

Chuck H. Zhao czhao at commonvision.com
Wed May 29 12:32:04 PDT 2002

First of all, I am very happy to find this software.  It is exactly what I
have been looking for, an open-source lossless audio compression software.

My question is not directly related to FLAC, but maybe the many audio
experts here can help me out.  I am in charge of archiving the lectures and
speeches of a late church preacher.  The recording was done with ordinary
mic and tape recorder over the past 20 years.  I decided to use WAVE
format, 16-bit, mono, then FLAC it.  But I can't decide if I should use 11
Khz or 22 Khz.  Somewhere I read 22 Khz is cassette-tape quality and 11 Khz
is only telephone quality.  Is this true?  Is there much difference between
11Khz and 22Khz for the kind of voice-only lectures that I am dealing
with?  What would you recommend?  Thanks!

-- Chuck Zhao