[Flac-users] How do I encode a FLAC with tags?

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 16:31:01 PST 2002

--- Chris Hirsch <chris at base2technology.com> wrote:
> Ok so I can use any ID3v2 or v1 tagger (say the perl one) for FLAC
> files
> and things will be kosher?

yes but keep in mind the id3v2 caveat I mentioned.

> I'd LOVE to be able roll my own tagging
> scheme like you can in Vorbis and I don't mind doing some code
> either..I
> wasn't aware that FLAC was able to do that..or at least I didn't
> userstand how to do that. I guess that is where you register for your
> own developer ID eh?

yes.  if you plan on doing your own FLAC metadata block or
switching to the vorbis-style one later, you can reserve a
padding block when you encode now.  that might save you some
hassle later.

in fact, I was thinking about adding a small padding block
by default on all encodes over a certain size in anticipation
of the outcry from people having to re-encode because of a
new tagging scheme.

Josh