[Flac-users] How do I encode a FLAC with tags?

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 10:08:59 PST 2002

--- Chris Hirsch <chris at base2technology.com> wrote:
> So there are no command line options like in oggenc to do artist and
> misc tags? Sure if you've got a solution that I don't have to do from
> scratch then post away! :-)

I think that uses vorbis tags.  FLAC doesn't specify a tagging
system.  You have three choices:

1) use id3v1 or v2 (preferably v1 since that has better support
and doesn't mess with the beginning of the file, and apps that
support FLAC may still choke on the v2 tag)

2) write your own custom tags into a custom FLAC metadata block
(will require some coding on your part still)

3) hope that I get vorbis-style tags into a new FLAC metadata
block in your time frame :)

#1 sounds like the best bet for you now, and there are lots of
little programs that will do id3 tag management on existing
files (like id3ren).

#3 will happen but not for a couple of months.  I'm _real_
busy lately.

Josh