[flac-dev] The flacdiff and flactimer utils

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 20:15:34 UTC 2023

Hi all,

In an attempt to clean up the FLAC repository, I was trying to work
out the importance of the flactimer and flacdiff utils. I think the
flactimer util can be removed, but I don't fully understand the use of
the flacdiff util.

It seems I can't get it to work. I always get something like this:

./flacdiff file1.flac file2.flac
got diff offset = 17
get error 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
get error 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
get error 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
get error 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
get error 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
get error 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
ERROR: got err_ in decoder1, state=FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME

At first I assumed some change broke this util, but even going all the
way back to the FLAC 1.2.0 release, the behaviour is the same. Has
anybody on this list ever used flacdiff?

Kind regards, Martijn van Beurden