[flac-dev] Enabling universal building of libFLAC

brianw brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sun Sep 18 14:39:52 UTC 2022

Ah, yes, the preprocessor defines. Now I see what you're talking about. Those are crucial because there is often code specific to a particular architecture.

NeXT and Apple have supported up to four-processor multi-architecture builds since the nineties. I don't know whether they modified the compiler to do this, or what. But the standard practice is to learn the #define values that signal a specific architecture, and work with those. At no time would a NeXT/Apple developer manually set these preprocessor defines, nor would the make process. The tools allow a list, and the compiler is called repeatedly, each time with the preprocessor values set appropriately.

If these values differ from the ones that libFLAC is already using (and they almost surely are spelled differently, or have more or fewer underscores), then perhaps a macOS section in a common header (like config.h) would be needed to read the Apple-supplied preprocessor values and then set the corresponding "FLAC" compatible values. Even if this works, it would probably require defeating any Make logic that hard-codes those values (otherwise the build would still be stuck with one architecture).

I recall that `configure` has long supported NeXT and Mac OS X, but I do not recall whether anyone has shipped an open-source product that can build multi-architecture. Hopefully, someone has done this, somewhere, and their setup could be used as an example.

It's possible that I've always punted, built for each architecture separately, and then manually combined the architectures into a single segmented loader file (whatever the official name for that is, and the format has changed since NeXT, of course). I hope it's not still like that. ;-)

Brian