[flac-dev] Looking for users of --keep-foreign-metadata

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 07:42:03 UTC 2022

Op do 3 nov. 2022 om 20:17 schreef Scott Burkhart <scott at scotteffx.com>:

> I need uncorrupted metadata, as I use data in Base64 encoding in a long text tag for my music synchronized light show. Implemented now in .mp3 ID3 tags, I hope to extend to FLAC, but that only works if metadata is kept exactly in its original content.

Yes, I don't think anyone would want their metadata corrupted.

The discussion here is about whether the flac command-line program
should be able to store WAV or AIFF specific metadata (the so-called
foreign metadata, foreign because it isn't metadata in one of FLACs
own formats) that is already corrupted in some way.

However, I think your use case is best served through using Vorbis
comments (which is quite similar to ID3v2 tags) or an Application
metadata block. The latter can store binary data, which means there's
no need to base64 code anything, but it would take a little more
effort to use that.