[flac-dev] Looking for users of --keep-foreign-metadata

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 06:26:22 UTC 2022

 Op wo 2 nov. 2022 om 21:44 schreef David Willmore <davidwillmore at gmail.com
>:
>
> If a --force-* option fails, shouldn't it error out instead?  Scripts
aren't going to pick up on a warning, but they should pick up on an errored
exit code (or they're just not written well enough to care).

I wasn't referring to that force option, that is only for picking a format.
The warning would be paired with --keep-foreign-metadata on decoding.

Op wo 2 nov. 2022 om 21:54 schreef Federico Miyara <fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
>:

> Considering that
>
> 1) audio data is always (I believe...) in a single connected block,
> 2) its location and length is unambiguously known,
> 3) its basic formatting information is at the header, hence readily and
> unambiguously known, and
> 4) all metadata, either native or foreign, including the header, is before
> or after the audio data (or both),
>
> [...]
>
> This would provide bit-for-bit accuracy, even for inconsistent or
> ill-formed metadata, as long as the audio data is consistent, with known
> format and correctly located.

Currently FLAC already stores and restores most kinds of metadata
corruption without problems, so in most cases the conversion is already
bit-accurate. However, there are some kinds of corruption it cannot handle.
These are the kinds of corruption that invalidate your considerations. For
example, when a chunk length is incorrect, the location and length of the
audio data is no longer known. It is also possible the basic formatting
information is invalid. In this case, FLAC cannot compress the audio at
all, not even without considering foreign metadata, while general purpose
compressors (who don't have to discriminate between audio and metadata)
have no problem compressing.