[flac-dev] Looking for users of --keep-foreign-metadata

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Wed Nov 2 20:54:20 UTC 2022

Considering that

1) audio data is always (I believe...) in a single connected block,
2) its location and length is unambiguously known,
3) its basic formatting information is at the header, hence readily and
unambiguously known, and
4) all metadata, either native or foreign, including the header, is
before or after the audio data (or both),

would it be very difficult to just store all the information before and
after the audio, even compress it with any content-unaware algorithm
such as LZW, compress the audio with FLAC's algorithm and when decoding
restore each block (pre-audio metadata, audio, and post-audio metadata)
at its correct location?

This would provide bit-for-bit accuracy, even for inconsistent or
ill-formed metadata, as long as the audio data is consistent, with known
format and correctly located.

I don't know whether this would cause backward-compatibility issues,
probably yes.

Regards,

Federico Miyara