[flac-dev] Support for ultra-high sample rates?

Con Kolivas kernel at kolivas.org
Thu Jun 25 13:33:06 UTC 2020

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 23:11, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <tor-einar at jarnbjo.name> wrote:

> Isn't the FLAC encoder 'tuned' for the compression of audio data at common sample rates anyway? Does it make sense to use FLAC to compress arbitrary analog data at very high sample rates as opposed to other general purpose compression algorithms?

The idea is to actually use it for playback, not just storage, and
nothing else has the nice asymmetrical fast decompression with such
effective compression (wavpack supports 705/768 but is woefully slow
on decompression and poorly supported). Mostly the sample rates would
be multiples of the common 44.1/48 sample rates so I expect
compression to be equally good with simple extrapolation to bigger
equivalent sized windows.

Thanks,
Con