[flac-dev] warning that legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample is 24

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Sat May 27 22:44:35 UTC 2017

Brian Willoughby wrote:

> Are there some (old) programs that will not accept WAVEX headers? I'm
> trying to think of why the flac utility worked this way in the first place.

Yes probably. But that was probably 10 years ago or more.

> In any event, it seems like it would be prudent to add a command line
> option to preserve the existing behavior, just in case anyone has archived
> their audio using FLAC and would need to maintain compatibility with the
> legacy WAVE format.

Its trvially easy to losslessly convert between legacy and WAVEX formats.
Like I said, sndfile-convert does it.

> It's not always possible to replace certain old programs,
> especially in recording studios.

A program that suppoprts 24 bit WAV and does support WAVEX would have
had to be really old even 10 years ago. I don't think its worth adding
this command line flag unless someone actually runs into the problem.

Erik