[flac-dev] warning that legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample is 24

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sat May 27 05:03:04 UTC 2017

On May 26, 2017, at 9:52 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Mark H. David wrote:
>> Notice the warning was given only for the WAVE file produced by the
>> flac reference executable.
>
> I agree. The flac decoder should not generate WAV files which it
> warns about when encoding.
>
>> Should I file a bug for this?
>
> No need. This is sufficient.
>
> Erik

Are there some (old) programs that will not accept WAVEX headers? I'm trying to think of why the flac utility worked this way in the first place.

In any event, it seems like it would be prudent to add a command line option to preserve the existing behavior, just in case anyone has archived their audio using FLAC and would need to maintain compatibility with the legacy WAVE format. It's not always possible to replace certain old programs, especially in recording studios.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting