[flac-dev] Playing FLAC Files on Audi MMI

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at gmail.com
Thu May 11 12:50:58 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:45 AM, elio manes <elioarmando at optonline.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am hoping that perhaps you know the answer to my car audio question, or
> can at least point me in the right direction.  I own a 2013 Audi S4 that
> has the 3G-Plus Multi Media Interface (MMI) with the Bang & Olufsen Sound
> System.
>

> The MMI is able to playback lossy, compressed audio files (MP3, WMA and
> AAC), but does not have native support for FLAC, ALAC, or WMA Lossless.
> However, I've read that the MMI system in other 2013 Audi models do have
> native support for playing back lossless FLAC and WAVE files.
>

> Is there some type of FLAC decoder “plug-in” that I can download (or save
> on to an SD card) that I can then “flash” onto my car’s MMI software so
> that it could playback FLAC files?
>

> As I understand it, the MMI employs programmable processors and runs on a
> Unix-like RTOS (Real Time Operating System) that can be updated using a SD
> card/USB/CD containing the software.  MMI software update menu enables
> import/export settings saved as an AES (Advanced Encryption Standard)
> encrypted zip file.
>

> Audio files can be played back on the MMI via various drives: two SD card
> readers, a CD/DVD drive, iPod (MDI), USB, Aux-in, as well as by Bluetooth
> Streaming and WiFi hotspot. However, I would be happy just being able to
> play back FLAC files off the SD card reader!
>

> I'm a bit of an audiophile and am enjoying the Bang & Olufsen Sound System
> in my S4. It would be a shame to have two SD card slots on the MMI - each
> capable of holding up to 32 GB of music! - and only be able to play off
> them “lossy” audio files.
>

> Any thoughts/suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Elio

Hi Elio,

FLAC devs can't do anything about this.

You should talk to Audi. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
3G-Plus MMI is old and most probably only in maintenance mode.

Audi is using QNX as their "Unix-Line RTOS" OS, which is
proprietary nowdays and developing something for the Audi MMI
is impossible for 3rd parties.

Cheers,
Cristian.