[flac-dev] [Cellar] FLAC Markdown

Ruud van Asseldonk dev at veniogames.com
Tue Jun 6 17:56:57 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm jumping in on this thread to make a few remarks about the spec. I
implemented a FLAC decoder by only looking at the spec, and I have a few
notes that would have saved me a lot of time if the spec had mentioned
them. They are obvious in hindsight, of course.

* If the channel assignment includes a difference channel, then the
subframe for that channel has one extra bit per sample in order to
encode the difference.

* The number of bits per sample for a subframe, is the number of bits
per sample of the frame, minus the number of wasted bits per sample of
the subframe (and possibly plus one for a difference channel).

I hope this helps future implementers.

Kind regards,

Ruud van Asseldonk